Dilys Gartside, the 20’s Plenty for Dorset Campaign Coordinator, is giving a talk entitled: Why 20?
This event is part of the first ever Purbeck Active & Sustainable Travel Week.
Here's what Dilys has to say:
"The default speed limit for traffic in built up areas was set arbitrarily in first half of last century since when vehicle size and weight has significantly changed their potential for damage, both to roads and to people! Outside the UK, it has long been accepted that lower speeds significantly reduce incidents of collision or injuries when one occurs.
This September, Wales will become the first UK country to adopt the reduced 20mph limit where people are likely to mix with motors. Highway authorities throughout the UK are increasingly recognising this and the tangential benefits of lower speeds, which not only are saving lives but the huge costs of a road traffic collision. At 30mph impact, a person aged 65+ has just a 5% chance of survival. At 20mph, the same person has a 95% chance!
This is your opportunity to air those doubts and concerns, destroy the myths which abound and to make an informed opinion".
Other benefits to people include reduced noise, a significant issue in Corfe & reduced pollution levels.
Spaces are limited so please do book your seat.