Come and discover the wonderful world of moths at Sandy Hill Arts with Martin Warren!
- If you have never been to a moth trapping event before, it is a fun and leisurely event where we have a chance to see moths at close quarters.
- They sleep during the day so you can see them close up while they rest underneath the egg cartons placed in the trap.
- The event is supported by the Dorset Branch of Butterfly Conservation www.dorsetbutterflies.com.
Did you know there are over 2,500 species of moths in the UK and their caterpillars feed on a wide variety of plants. Moths are an important part of biodiversity as they pollinate plants and provide food for birds, bats and other wildlife. However since the late 1960s total moth numbers have declined by around a third and in the twentieth century over 60 species of moth became extinct.
Full details of all daytime activities at Sandy Hills Arts on Sunday 18th September can be found here.
- Free workshop, suitable for all ages including families with young children.
- No need to book – just turn up and look for us on the flat ground by the old black wooden chicken shed at the western end of the site.
- The workshop will run outdoors so dress for the weather – we will move indoors if it rains.
- There will be a bar on site, with food available on site from the Sprout & Bean pop up cafe from lunchtime.
- The Boilerhouse Gallery will be open as normal from 10am to 5pm, with other studios open too!
- There will be an accessible temporary toilet on site for the weekend.
- The Sandy Hill Arts 1-acre site has a range of walking surfaces, including earth tracks which can get muddy when wet.
- The event is held in an ex-industrial site with several levels, and while most areas accessible via slopes rather than steps, surfaces are mainly grass or gravel.
- We are easy to access on foot from the village through the station.
- Please visit us by bus (Breezer number 40), or train (Swanage Railway).
- There is no parking at Sandy Hill Arts, although if you need parking because of a health issue we will try to sort something out if you let us know in advance, please.
- If coming by car, please park nearby at the National Trust Car Park (East Street BH20 5DR, free for NT members and free to all in the evenings. This is a 5 minute walk from the event venue) or the West Street Car Park (BH20 5HH).